Questions about solicitors

I am currently in my 3rd year of suing my ex employers for damages relating to RSI and de quervains tenosynovitus, but it should all be over by the end of this year yippee. Yes it has taken a long time but cases like this are very long winded. Before you see a solicitor you need to make sure that you have a doctor/consultant who can confirm that you are suffering from an illness/disability that has been caused by your job, without this you don’t stand a chance. If you are in a union contact them as they will most probably help and also pay the solicitors fees. Cases like this can sometimes cost up to £20.000. If you have no union then your solicitor may be able to get you legal aid funding, with you possibly paying a proportion each month.

Before you see your solicitor jot down when you first developed any symptoms, what work you were doing at the time, when did you seek any medical advice, had there been any health and safety workplace assessments carried out by your employers, was the job you were doing give you regular breaks away from the computer, had you received any health and safety advice on working with vdu’s if so when. These are a few questions that you should be asked. If your solicitor does not seem at all interested or confident, then persevere and see another one, don’t give up.

Comment 1: It’s pretty scary for me to decide to sue but I have my future to think of and I am only 29! I have been treated differently to others who have CTS and were told have as much time off as you like. Yet I had my sick pay taken away. I was bullied into letting the works doc contact my GP by the personnel lady saying “if you don’t let us contact your GP we won’t believe anything is wrong” how kind is that? Anyway tell me more if you feel like it please.

Comment 2: You might also want to weigh up whether there are any other viable and more valuable alternatives. For example, retirement on ill health grounds can sometimes offer more financial support in the longer term than winning a lump sum after protracted proceedings. All depends on your circumstances.

Comment 3: And make sure that if you can negotiate any settlement with your employer in respect of breach of employment law, contract, compensation or ill health retirement that they pay it to you in a way which is tax-free (which should be possible)!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.