Seeing my GP – any advice

Question: I have an appointment with my GP next month, following a first appointment I had with him last week re my RSI/tendonitis/whatever. He was helpful and supportive so I’m not afraid that there will be any problems of the “it’s all in your mind” variety. His initial thought was that it may be tendonitis but I understand that that can occur in conjunction with other forms of RSI so I wouldn’t want to jump to conclusions just yet. However, some tips on what I should be asking for (referral to a physio?) just so that I can make the most of the appointment would be helpful.

Answer 1: You do not say what your symptoms are – but you are not a fraud for only having mild symptoms. In RSI all symptoms start in this way. You are absolutely correct in wanting preventative precautions. My doctor also diagnosed my problem as tendonitis, with perhaps other RSI related problems. However, although he was very interested in my problem he never referred me on to specialist. From my own experience I suspect I have CTS, I understand that in such cases a Rheumatologist is recommended for specific diagnosis. I have recently changed doctors and will be seeing new doctor on the 29th, so I have yet to discover her recommendations.

Answer 2: Definitely get referred to a physio, see the FAQ for advice on how to check if they are capable. You may have to see one ‘privately’. Physios’ tend to have better knowledge of anatomy and muscular/skeletal problems than your GP and so are better at diagnosing RSI problems. Ask for one who is known to be good at treating RSI.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.